We are a group of researchers investigating the acquisition of second language (L2) speech in all of its perceptual and productive dimensions. We seek to gain a better understanding of the (psycho)linguistic processes and mechanisms involved in the development of non-native phonologies and the pronunciation of second/foreign languages and their interaction with contextual and individual learning factors. We meet regularly (once every 6 weeks) to share our research, discuss experimental methods and explore new research questions. The focus of our research includes the following areas:
- Individual differences in cognitive ability and L2 speech learning
- Phonetic training
- Phonological awareness
- Foreign accent, fluency, comprehensibility and intelligibility of non-native speech
- Cross-language speech perception and production
- Bilingual speech acquisition
- Pronunciation teaching and learning
News & events!
Getting ready for NEWSOUNDS 2022 in Barcelona!
We are pleased to announce that the 10th International Symposium on the Acquisition of Second Language Speech (New Sounds) will take place in Barcelona, on 20-22 April 2022.
New Sounds is a conference for researchers and teachers to discuss issues related to phonetics and phonology in second/foreign languages (L2). The conference will cover a variety of topics:
- Speech perception and production
- Theories and models of L2 speech learning
- Phonetics and phonology in second language acquisition
- Acquisition of L2 phonology and phonotactics
- Multilingualism and the acquisition of additional languages
- Application of new technologies to pronunciation teaching and learning
- Sociolinguistic, psycholinguistic, and neurolinguistic aspects of L2 speech learning
The keynote speakers will be:
- Ocke-Schwen Bohn (University of Aarhus, Denmark)
- Pilar Prieto (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona)
- Annie Tremblay (University of Kansas, U.S.)
Abstract submission opens on June 1st and closes on November 1st. Please visit the conference website for more information, including the Call for Papers: https://www.ub.edu/newsounds2022/